Michael A. Pickup was appointed Auditor General of British Columbia in July 2020, directly following his six-year term as Nova Scotia’s auditor general.
Pickup is Indigenous, a status Indian member of the Miawpukek First Nation of Newfoundland. He is also a member of the LGBTQIA2S+ community.
Pickup puts inclusivity at the foundation of workplace engagement. He encourages staff to bring their whole self to their work, comfortably share their thoughts with him, and to laugh every day. His goal for the Office of the Auditor General of B.C. is to build a strong provincial and national reputation based on high-quality output, efficient operations, and a highly engaged team as the foundation to all.
- July 2020 - present: Auditor General of British Columbia (eight-year term)
- July 2014 - July 2020: Auditor General of Nova Scotia
- January 1990 - July 2014: Office of the Auditor General of Canada (Halifax, Ottawa)
- 2000 - 2012: part-time professor, Carleton University and Ottawa University
- 2017 - 2020: Served on CPA Canada’s Auditing and Assurance Standards Board
- 30+ years of experience leading financial and performance audits
- Worked in all regions in Canada, including the north
- Chartered Professional Accountant (1992), Fellowship (2018)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Canadian Economics and Political Science (1987) - Acadia University
- Certificate in Diversity and Inclusion (2021) - Cornell University
- Certificate in LGBTQ Executive Leadership (2018) - Stanford Graduate School of Business
- Published author of Nan-Made: How a Grandmother Made a Man (2018)
- Coached and trained auditors in Africa and South America
- Travelled to 45+ countries in past decade
- Intermediate French Immersion Program (1999) - Universitié Sainte-Anne
- Certificate in Mental Health First Aid (2019) - Canadian Mental Health Commission